Friday, 14 October 2016
Cauliflower Cheese Baked - Retro Recipe
Oven: 325 deg.F, 170deg. C - Approx. 1 hr. - till top becomes golden.
1 large cauliflower - cut into florets - (halved if very large)
1 white onion or shallot - peeled and finely chopped
2 ozs. unsalted butter (50g.)
3 ozs. (approx.) fresh white breadcrumbs (75g.)
1/2pt. milk (10.fl.ozs.)
2ozs. grated Gruyere (or cheese of choice) (50g.)
salt, black pepper
Ground Nutmeg (optional)
5 beaten eggs
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the florets, cover the pan and boil gently for about 8 mins. Drain.
2. Melt 1/2 of the butter and saute the onions until softened.
3. Butter the inside of an ovenproof dish and sprinkle half of the breadcrumbs on the base. Place the florets on top (pretty side up).
4. Bring milk to the boil, add the cheese and remaining butter, stir in the breadcrumbs, (nutmeg), seasoning and the onions. Remove from the heat and add the beaten eggs, beating them in a small amount at a time so they dont curdle.
5. Pour this sauce over the florets, covering well. If you have any spare breadcrumbs, you can sprinkle these on top.
Eat Hot. Very nice as a light supper snack with a mixed salad.