Friday, 30 October 2009
Date & Walnut Loaf - easy
Oven: 325F, 170C, Gas 3.
3/4 cup of boiling water + 1 tsp. bicarb of soda - pour over 1 cup of stoned dates - and set aside
4ozs (125g) butter
4 ozs. (125g sugar - soft brown or demerara is good)
8ozs. (250g) plain flour (sifted)
1/2 cup of walnuts - finely chopped in the food processor
Few drops of vanilla
1 egg - beaten
1. Cream the butter and sugar
2. Add the egg, then the flour and mix well.
3. Remove the dates from the liquid (retain the liquid) and chop the dates in the food processor, then
4. Add the dates AND the liquid and the vanilla essence. Stir together well.
5. Bake in a greased loaf tin in a preheated oven for approx. an hour.
Do test this with a skewer - I found the centre took longer to cook. (Mind you - it's probably my oven!) ...... If the centre isn't cooked through and the loaf is looking too brown - cover it lightly with some foil and continue baking until the centre is cooked through.