Sunday, 12 February 2017
Endive Baked with 2 Cheese Sauce - c/o James Martin
Oven 200 deg. C - preheated
1 brioche loaf - sliced thickly and cut into chunks
2 or 3 endive (chicory) - end removed and cut lengthways
Compte Cheese (or cheddar) - grated
St Agur Cheese (or nice blue cheese)
For cheese sauce:
1 oz. butter
1 tablespoon of plain flour
1/2 pt. milk (semi or full fat is ok)
teaspoon of Dijon mustard
Buttered oven proof dish
1. Put a tiny bit of butter in the pan, and almost dry fry the sliced endive until just a teeny bit of colour on leaves. A non-stick pan is good. Place endive in a buttered dish. Put cubed brioche pieces on top.
2. Make your roux with melted butter and flour - stirring constantly so it doesn't 'lump'. Remove from the heat and add the milk a little at a time, place back on a gentle heat and stir until thickened and smooth. You may need to turn up the heat slightly.
3. Add the grated cheese, stirring in until creamy.
4. Add salt, pepper and Dijon mustard.
5. Pour the creamy sauce over the brioche and endive. Add some small chunks of St Agur cheese over.
6. Bake for about 20mins.until going slightly brown and bubbling.
6. Eat ASAP :o)
This recipe comes from a super programme called James Martin's French Adventure.