Delicious (and easy) Chocolate Cake - decorate how you fancy for Halloween .....
Oven: 190/200 deg. C
7 ozs. Good quality cooking chocolate
7 ozs. butter
1.1/2 cups sugar
3 tbls. Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. vanilla essence
½ cup water
* other ingredients
1. Melt the above ingredients together in a bowl over saucepan of hot water (small double boiler is good). When ingredients are melted -
2. Separate 5 eggs* and carefully stir in the yolks only to the melted chocolate - (keep whites aside to whisk in later).
Remove 1 cup of the chocolate mixture and set aside to use for the Icing/Frosting.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
4. Add the stiffly beaten egg whites to rest of choc. mixture- and fold in carefully.
5. Add 1.1/4 cups of Plain Flour* + 2 tsps. Baking Powder (sifted) * -
(or use Self-raising flour without Baking Pdr.) Fold in gently.
Bake for approx. 30 mins in a greased and floured baking dish.
Test with skewer to make sure it’s cooked through – it cooks quite quickly. Don’t remove it from the dish.
Remove from oven and let it cool for just a minute or two, and pierce all over with a skewer.
Pour the Cup of Choc.topping (icing/frosting) over the top of the cake – start in the centre and spread it out gently with a knife, dipped in hot water. Leave cake to get cold.
Decorate and Eat :o)
(This keeps well wrapped in foil in the fridge, but may go slightly firm and the chocolate may lose its shine, just a little.)