8 ozs. (225g) of plain, wholewheat or mixture of flours (you can also substitute about an ounce of porridge oats for flour)
4 ozs. (110g) cold butter - cut into small pieces
100g soft brown sugar
Pinch of Cinnamon/Mixed Spice, if you fancy
1. Add the cold butter to the flour and rub in until you have 'breadcrumbs'.
2. Add the oats (if using) and the sugar - set aside
Apple & Blackberry Filling:
approx. 1 lb. (500 - 600 g.) cooking apples - peeled, and cut into similar sized pieces - cooked until just soft with
1 large tablespoon (25g) soft brown sugar and
approx. 6 tablespoons of water (depends on how much water is in the apples) - - - I like quite a bit of juice, and don't like my crumble too dry.
Then add -
400 g. blackberries - washed and rinsed with the apples, once the apples have been cooked.
Cooking the apples can be done in the micro - but don't overcook them.
3. Butter an ovenproof dish and place in the apples and blackberries.
4. Sprinkle the crumble mix on top, then tap the dish down gently so it's all evenly distributed. If you have some crumble mix leftover, this can be put into a plastic bag/container and frozen until you need it next time.
5. Bake about 40 - 50 mins until becoming golden brown, and the juice has begun to bubble up.
Serve with custard, single or double cream or crème fraiche - or anything else delicious.
You can also add pinenuts or any other chopped nuts, raisins, sultanas - lots of nice additions.