Thursday 30 June 2011

Cherry Jam

I found this amount makes approx 2 x 1lb. jars plus 1 x 1.2 lb. jar


Ingredients: 
3 cups of tart cherries – weighed after rinsing and pitting – (if you miss any of the stones, you’ll find they float to the top while cooking.)
1 Granny Smith apple – peeled and roughly chopped, a few strawberries, and a few gooseberries – I throw these in as they add to the pectin content - - - apparently cherries have very little.
3 cups of sugar
Juice of 2 lemons

1 oz. of butter

Ground Cinnamon and Ground Ginger (large pinch) 

1. Put your fruit and sugar into your (stainless steel or jam) pan. (There will probably be quite a bit of juice, but this is ok.)
On a lowish heat, stir until sugar is dissolved, and add the lemon juice.

Turn the heat up and stir constantly so it doesn’t burn, and  bring to a good boil.

2. Stir in the butterthis helps reduce the scum, which you can also gently remove with a spoon.

I test the temperature with my jam thermometer and when it reaches about 100 deg.C, I find that’s fine.  
You should , also test a blob on a cold plate to see whether it 'sets' and isn't too runny.
Add some cinnamon and ginger to taste – stir in.
Pour into your hot sterilised jars*, lid and label.

TIPS:
When pitting the cherries, I do this by hand and find the fruit gets fairly well squished.  However, while cooking you could use a potato masher to help mush the fruit a little more.

* I sterilise my jars by putting them in a cold oven & heating  to approx. 190/200 deg.C  for at least 1/2 hr.
Open the oven and leave to cool very slightly before pouring in the jam.

I also use a jam funnel which is very useful.

Freeze your lemon halves and use them when roasting chicken.  (They are delicious). 



No comments: